In Creede and similar Colorado ex-mining towns, you'll notice items in various states of decay or disrepair. Most of this seems intentional. Perhaps the inhabitants allow their signs and buildings and vehicles to deteriorate in order to give tourists an "authentic" experience. Perhaps it is due to the lack of nearby Lowe's or Home Depot outlets from which to purchase repair materials. Or perhaps it's because trying to keep things looking new takes a back seat to taking full advantage of the beautiful surroundings.
For example, this "ICE" sign's worn look gives viewers a sense of rugged mountain advertising. I know I was immediately induced to purchase a bag of ice right after I took this picture. Warren and Mike talked me out of it because I had nothing to put it in, or use it on.
Monday, September 5, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment